Sunday, March 10, 2019

The "FIT" Contents Idea Isn't Too Fitting

Since I have not started the photography process yet, I decided to start making my table of contents layout first without including the pictures. Initially, I had the idea of including a layout of pictures in the form of “FIT” to emphasize the message of the magazine; however, I reconsidered the outcome this would have on the magazine’s target audience.

Positives:
  • Gives an artistic style to the contents
  • Includes images next to the article titles in a creative fashion
  • Different layout to entice readers
Negatives:
  • Too crowded on the page
  • Discourage readers from focusing on the important content on the page (article titles and their location in the magazine)
  • Doesn’t follow simplistic and sophisticated design
  • Looks too scrapbooky for a health and fitness magazine
After weighing out the pros and cons, I was convinced the simple layout would appeal to the target audience more. It keeps all the information organized and isn’t too overwhelming, while still including all the necessary parts of the contents.

In order to visualize the desired layout I wanted, I used scratch paper to sketch out the designs. I compared the “FIT” images design to the straightforward one by drawing the two in theory. I thought of having a large heading with the letters spaced out more than usual, at the top center of the page that says “CONTENTS.” I want to implement the title of the magazine somewhere above or next to the large title, but I don’t want it to be too distracting. Here’s a list of ideas I had.
  1. Use either a red or navy blue color and a smaller sized font placed above the title that says “FEELFIT”
  2. Have “FEEL” be in a red/blue, while “FIT” stays black (vice versa) above the title
  3. “FEEL” placed in the top left corner, “FIT” in the top right corner (CON: Disparity between the words takes away from the sophisticated design)
I decided on the second one, and added extra letter spacing so it looks cleaner and appealing. “FEEL” will be in red and “FIT” will be in black. The colors I will focus on through the table of contents are reds, blacks, and darker blues. This color scheme needs to be kept consistent through the entire magazine so all pieces work cohesively and nothing looks out of place.

I am working on the rest of the layout now for the contents. Next time I blog about it, I should have an example of it on the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment